On 4/04/2014 7:35 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
We are considering removing some functions from the standard math lib,
either because we think few people use them or because they are trivially
implemented without the library. The current list is this:

- sinh, cosh, tanh: (They are quite specialized, on par with several
other functions offered by external libraries, such as lhf's mathlibx.)

I think that these are important to retain. I have used them. They are useful for signal processing (computing coefficients for filters, or non-linear clipping curves). This has utility when using Lua for control applications and possibly for dynamic simulations in games too.

- deg, rad, pow: trivially done without the library.

I don't care for rad or deg, but I see some benefit to retaining pow for closer syntactic compatibility with C code. Of course it can be defined by the user, so pow is not as important to keep as sinh, cosh, tanh.

My take on it is that math should support all the special functions provided by ANSI/ISO C.

Ross.