> That's actually a bit bizarre since -5 % 3 in C is -2,
> so now Lua's mod also diverges from C behavior, too.

In Lua, the result of x%y has the same sign as y.

In Pari-GP (a number theory package) x%y is always positive.

I don't think there is any standard here. At least Lua documents
it in the manual:

Modulo is defined as the remainder of a division that rounds
the quotient towards minus infinite (floor).

>> So in C the two things are totally different.
> Is there a case where double values that happen to contain
> integer values (no fractional portion) produces a different
> result than % would, though?

Can't see why that could happen.