> Possibly, but I do not feel comfortable using a feature that was not
> there in the previous version and will not be there in the next one.

It is not difficult to implement bit32 in pure Lua 5.3. (The test file
'bitwise.lua' has such an implementation.) It is easy to provide that
(or a C equivalent) as an external library. In 5.2, require'bit32'
will automatically use the internal version.

> By the way, Roberto said something about the (hypotetical,
> approximate) release time for 5.3, but I didn't take notes and I
> have not been able to find it in the archives...

I do not remember saying anything about that (and I did not take notes,
either :).

-- Roberto