On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
> That would be serious fun! (And as a bonus, we could throw all our
> language-design wishes on these guys instead of Roberto for once ;-D
> Imagine all the wonderful bikeshed discussions in the afterparty!)

Cool idea!  It's that old distinction between 'Java the language' and
'Java the platform' - Lua is a ecosystem built around a virtual
machine.  It's relatively easy to learn a Lua-based language like
Moonscript since the semantics are familiar and all the libraries are
available.

Moonscript has just about every extra feature that I've seen discussed
in lua-l over the years, including local-by-default.  So it can be
seen as a laboratory for exploring those features.  It also makes a
rather cool REPL, even if you are working in Lua - and that's exactly
what I use it for, a shorthand that's faster to type in a hurry.

steve d.