Hi:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> In fact: `data = file:read"*a"; file:close()`. We're not living in the era
> of punched cards and tape drives and 64K main memory any more.

No, we are in the 2Tb inexpensive disk era.

This just works for small data sets, as it worked for the
then-currently-small in the 64k era.

I do not about other people, but from the top of my head I've had this
range of desktops in the last 25-30 years, with some gaps in between:

CPC 6128: 180k floppies / 128 k ram:  1.40
PC XT, 30Mb HDD /  640K RAM:         46.875
486, 200Mb HDD/4MB RAM:              50
PIII, 80G HDD / 512MRAM:            160
Core2, 750Gb HDD/2G RAM:            375

So the case, for me at least, does not improve, it gets worse.

I'm known at work for solving problems by throwing RAM at them, but
come on, you can't just say there is no problem because you can solve
10 years old problems with sloppy coding on current hardware.

Francisco Olarte.