Thanks for letting me know about Orbit model. Its a bit hard to follow since there are  no comments. Also could not fing any __newindex metamethod so I wonder how to they manage writing to tables directly going to database.
I am doing it so that the user may just as well plug in this model to their existing program without any change to the table manipulation code. The table writes and reads are all handled by metamethods and I plan to accommodate these modified tables by temporarily replacing global ipars and pairs functions.

Luiz,
    Was that library in open source?

Thanks.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>       I have started work on a small module to map lua tables directly to
> sqlite database using luasql. The aim is that if you are using lua tables
> to store all your data then that is all you do. You use them like normal
> lua tables and in the end just do a save command and the changes get saved
> to a database.

I did something similar in my very first Lua library, a gdbm binding,
but all changes in the Lua table were committed to the gdbm file.