On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:06 PM, David Favro <lua@meta-dynamic.com> wrote:
SQLite3 by default makes each statement into a separate transaction, and syncs to physical disk (not filesystem buffers) at each commit.  Still, 5 seconds for 4 statements is a bit extreme, so I'm guessing that your appliance has slow-write storage, like maybe flash.

It also can depend on the file system you're using; at one point I had horrible delays with sqlite on ext4 where ext3 had been much much faster (on the order of 1s on ext4 vs 100ms on ext3).  There may be file system tuning parameters that can be tweaked to improve sync times.