Suggestion, mimic a serialise data format.

Given the codas about security and all the other stuff a simple version
is http://lua-users.org/wiki/SaveTableToFile
Put that is a library file and include, adds table.loadfile and table.save

Or mimic the easy to understand data format yourself. (ie. save a table
and eyeball the file, you have the load code)