> Which Lua 'distro' is best for a total newbie?
> I have noticed that there are different ready-to-deploy binary packages, on different websites. Which one is causes the least hassle to set up and is the simplest for learning the basics?

You may try ZeroBrane Studio [1]. I'm biased here (being the author of
the tool), but it runs on Windows/OSX/Linux, comes with Lua 5.1
(LuaJIT) and Lua 5.2 and is supposed to be simple to install as it
doesn't have any dependencies.

It comes packaged with a very simple sequence of lessons (and demos
for various Lua toolkits) and includes 50+ examples built around
turtle and spirograph graphics (in myprograms/ folder).

The project website also has a quick start guide for Lua [2] in one
file that you can copy into the editor tab and be able to run it, step
through it, and click on links pointing to sections in the Lua manual.

Paul.

[1] http://studio.zerobrane.com/
[2] http://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-lua-quick-start-guide.html