> For the widest assortment of modules and libraries, you're better off
> at present to use Lua 5.1. Lua 5.2 is relatively new and many modules
> and libraries have not yet been upgraded to be v. 5.2 compatible,[3]
> although doing so is a large community effort.

While this is all true I think one should start with Lua 5.2 now,
which was released over 2 years ago. It is an improvemento from 5.1:
	http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2

Upgrading libraries from 5.1 to 5.2 is usually quite simple. My
C libraries at http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/ only
differ in a couple of lines. See this thread: