On Dec 16, 2013, at 2:04 AM, Sven Olsen <sven2718@gmail.com> wrote:

> A string serialization approach can certainly work (though table and function argument handling gets a bit dicy).  But in the profiling tests I've done, an implementation that stores the arguments in a tree of tables is often significantly faster.

Possibly. But I suspect there may be two slight drawbacks with storing arguments directly:

(1) How does one manage memory? If the parameter table creates a strong reference, the arguments will not be garbage collected. If it’s a weak reference, what does it means for the cache stability?

(2) If parameters are keyed by identity, how does one deal with mutable structures such as, well, tables?

Thoughts?