On 4/12/2013, at 8:10 am, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

> Yes, but you can read a line at a time and use LPeg to break the line
> down.  You mentioned that there are issues with what constitutes a newline,
> but there are ways around that.  One method I use is:

Thank you, that’s very much like the method I’m using, which is reassuring (provided we’re not fools seldom differing).  I’m not using LPeg, but only because I figured it was just one more dependency for what should be (ha ha) a simple format.  There’s also a bit of mucking around because there can be newlines embedded inside quoted fields.

Sorry for not being clear initially: I know that the issues I mentioned are simple to overcome and I have working code.  Should I abandon that and adopt an existing solution, improve an existing solution, publish my own solution or just go back to my cave?

Geoff