On 28/11/2013, at 7:14 am, Tiago Salmito <tiago@salmito.com> wrote:

> if you're looking for a multicore (and distributed) stream-based lua library, maybe Leda (http://leda.co) is worth a look!

Thanks Alek and Tiago, I’ve looked at both, and they’re certainly interesting, but probably unjustified effort at this stage - I’d like to get a quick look at the data in the file, and if it proves useful, then I’ll make more effort to read it nicely.

As it happens the other OSM format - PBF is based on protocol buffers and there’s a Lua protocol buffer implementation available.  However, as far as I can tell, the format is not as simple as loading the .proto and hitting go.

Cheers,
Geoff