> From: Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: table library changes (was Re: table.new in 5.3?)

> > C is no less dogfooding than implementing it in Lua.
>
> So, while I personally just love compiling little C libraries for Lua,
> I have some sympathy for those that would prefer not to.

Yes, and there is no reason I can see why the standard libraries should not be, at least partly, implemented in Lua. In fact I would encourage the team to consider re-implementing the standard libraries entirely in Lua and extending the C API as necessary to support this.

I've just re-implemented my replacement Table library (OO version) so it is entirely Lua except for the List class which starts off in C with just a 'sort' method and all the other methods are added in Lua. Dirk also had a neat composite approach with a low-level partial sort implemented in C which could be wrapped in higher-level Lua functions implementing various full sort algorithms.

---