On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Paul Merrell <marbux@gmail.com> wrote:
Pandoc is rather amazing, but may not be suitable if your Lua
application needs lay users to install Pandoc on Windows. The last
time I installed it on Win7, perhaps a year ago, it required
pre-installation of several libraries; one was enormous.

Thanks, y'all.  Distribution isn't really a concern since I'm just using it to process my personal notes, though I hate to pull in a large project like Pandoc for something that could be done entirely in lua without any dependencies.  For the time being I'll probably just io.popen and rely on ruby and maybe I'll have time at some point to do a pure lua implementation.