Pandoc is rather amazing, but may not be suitable if your Lua
application needs lay users to install Pandoc on Windows. The last
time I installed it on Win7, perhaps a year ago, it required
pre-installation of several libraries; one was enormous. No single
package installer that I could find. For that reason, I've not
published any scripts that require its use on Windows, keeping them to
myself and the favored few who are undaunted by such tasks. I'd love
to be told that I just didn't look hard enough, that there is a single
package installer for it.

But I've experienced no such complexities installing Pandoc on several
different Linux distros that process .deb packages. Can't speak to
installation complexity on other operating systems.

Paul