A stackoverflow question [1] reports that compiling Lua 5.2 using
MINGW32 creates a dll that may crash the host application when a
Lua error occurs. The problem seems to be a combination of -O2
and using setjmp and longjmp. The solution seems to be to add
-fno-omit-frame-pointer.

We're getting ready to release Lua 5.2.3 and I'd like to confirm this
problem and solution. I find it surprising that it has not been found
before because Lua 5.2 has been around for almost two years now.
Perhaps no one uses 32-bit MINGW.

The closest lua-l thread that I've found is

Can anyone confirm this problem?

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19903762/lua-5-2-compiled-with-mingw32-crashes-my-host-program-when-a-lua-error-occurs