Also, multiple versions of Lua may be installed, each with a different name, such as /usr/local/bin/lua52 and /usr/local/bin/lua50.

If that's the case, you may not want a symbolic link called "lua" in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin to either version. Personally, I prefer such a symbolic link be in my ~/bin directory. This way, there is less need for root or superuser privileges, and less chance of dangling symbolic links after Lua is deinstalled or otherwise changed. Because ~/bin is (or certainly should be) in $PATH, env would still find it.

So yes, using env is a better bet than assuming the location of a file called "lua".