> My distribution offers Lua 5.1, so it seemed only natural to me to fetch
> an up to date Lua from the official website (my project requires Lua >=
> 5.2). If that is not what I should be doing at this point, I'm open to
> suggestions.

That's exactly what you should be doing. You go to the download page in
lua.org and see that the latest release of Lua is 5.2.2, of 2013-03-21.
Download it, build it, be happy. Don't worry about the bugs right now
unless you get bitten, which is unlikely.

Suggestions for making lua.org easier to read and navigate are welcome.