On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>   It's something tangable.  It's based on a real-world example.  And you
> could show, for instance, that a serial port IS-A character device, but a
> keyboard HAS-A serial port (to handle the actual IO).
>
>   But please, get away from the traditional OO examples of shapes, vehicles
> and animals.

I find the I/O example to be a bit too much -- honestly, while it's
nice to have the abstraction layer for convenience's sake, I find it
to be a little too low-level in concept for this level of student.

I personally find UI development to be a MUCH more appropriate example
of OO, since not only is it a real-world example but it's something
that's going to be more immediately helpful to such a student. You've
got widgets, which have geometry; subclasses might include buttons
with push-button and checkbox sub-subclasses, range controls with
slider and spinbox sub-subclasses, et cetera.

/s/ Adam