On 10/01/2013 08:21 AM, Elias Barrionovo wrote:
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
As for what good Open Source forums exist (question asked in another
email) I tend to like Vanilla (http://vanillaforums.org/) when tuned a
bit.

If one's looking for open source forum platforms, there's the new one
from Jeff Attwood (Stack Overflow) called Discourse [1]. I didn't use
it yet, but it looks promising. It's licensed under GPL 2 and
implementend on Rails.
I don't know how it compares to other platforms when it comes to
performance, though.

[1]  http://www.discourse.org/

Hmmm... Discourse looks interetesting. PostgreSQL-based backend, BSD licensed tech, but those are some steep client requirements. I will have to check the last month's logs to see what browsers people are using on the forum. I know many are not from "cutting edge" countries, and may use older software.

On this topic, can anyone recommend any other lightweight forum software that uses PostgreSQL? No big knock against MySQL, I just have much more experience with PostgreSQL - and MySQL on FreeBSD has been a bit of a bear.