On 09/30/2013 02:06 PM, Rob Kendrick wrote:
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 01:21:48PM -0700, Coda Highland wrote:
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
I am not sure writing new forum software is a good idea.

While I agree with you in the sense that this is a very large wheel to
be reinventing, I unfortunately can't recommend any other existing
forum software because they all have major problems of some sense or
another. (If I *had* to recommend one, it'd probably be vBulletin, but
that's not free.)

I've never understood the attraction of web fora; the only advantage I
can see over mailing lists is that they have a web interface; and that
can be easily overcome by using webmail and having a searchable archive.

B.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I myself prefer newsgroups (like how I access this list) to web forums. And I personally avoid using the Lua Forums - to the dissapointment of the volunteer moderators.

But how great or silly web forums are is not the issue. The Lua Forum is used by thousands and helps promote Lua to a audience that does not feel comfortable with using a mailing list. That is why I would like to keep them alive.

--
Stefan