On 09/25/2013 01:44 AM, Jayanth Acharya wrote:
http://www.lua.org/community.html (seach for "forum"), it's on luahub
website.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com
<mailto:rjek@rjek.com>> wrote:

    On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 02:22:37PM -0400, Renhold Akerlow wrote:
     > Past week or two numerous attempts have been made to access Lua.org's
     > forums from two separate computers.  I've been met with the same
    message
     > stating the page is unavailable.  Is the website under
    construction and/or
     > is there a time frame when the page is expected to be back live
    again?

    Lua.org's forums?  I didn't think there was a forum on lua.org
    <http://lua.org>: what's
    the precisely URL you are trying to access?

    B.

Hello Lua List, been a long time away. Luiz alerted me to the inquiry and referred me to the list.

I am the gent who keeps the lights on at luahub.com, and the forum had to be brought down due to a MASSIVE growth in spam bot traffic. Even though they (the bots) were not able to post on the forum, just the requests alone adversely affected the other websites running on the server and threatened to run up a rather large bill.

We are talking about 5-20 requests per second 24 hours a day, in addition to the legitimate traffic. The forum software is written in PHP, which is not the most efficient scripting language and the CPU was repeatedly pegged during the last week it was up.

I am looking at ways to get it back up - with all old users and posts intact if possible. I am always open to suggestions, but would like to start a new thread for that.

--
Stefan