On 27 September 2013 11:55, Jerome Vuarand <jerome.vuarand@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/9/23 Ignacio Burgueño <iburgueno@gmail.com>:
>> I'd like to announce StackTracePlus.
>>
>> https://github.com/ignacio/StackTracePlus
>
> Timing is interesting, I worked on something similar in the last few weeks.

I also implemented something like this for Prosody. The primary
purpose was for easier debugging, since stack traces are often the
best we get to work with. Increasing their verbosity, and also their
clarity, was important as I found the default stack traces too dense
to read at a glance. Plus when switching between languages I found it
impossible to remember whether I should be looking at the top or
bottom of the listing (hi Python!).

I also drew marker lines where the stack crossed between different
modules, or between C and Lua.

Since I added colour as well, the best explanation is a screenshot:
https://matthewwild.co.uk/uploads/util_debug.png

Source: https://hg.prosody.im/trunk/file/tip/util/debug.lua

Note that I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to StackTracePlus,
which is a polished standalone module, but as another point of
reference for work already done in this area, in case its code or
ideas help or inspire someone :)

Regards,
Matthew