Am 27.09.2013 03:58 schröbte Athos Ribeiro:
Hello,

Hi!

I would like to know if there is anyone working on the port of lua50
(5.0.3-6) to arm 64.
The reason I am asking it:
Steve Mcintyre posted a list of modules that are written in assembly and
need port, and this version of Lua was listed there:
"Lua programming language implementation; x86 asm for performance in
rounding; low priority".
(source: https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/OPTIM/Assembly)

Jon 'maddog' Hall has been talking about starting a contest in order to get
all these assembly code ported to C, to provide portability and in some
cases even optimizing the code.

So again, is anyone working in porting the assembly code in question? If
not, who are the developers maintaining that code?

I would like to work on it for my undergraduate thesis at Universidade de
Brasília, Brazil, but first I would like to estabilish some contact with
the maintainers. Would anyone want to talk about it?

The whole assembler code in Lua 5.0 is:

    #ifdef USE_FASTROUND
#define lua_number2int(i,d) __asm__("fldl %1\nfistpl %0":"=m"(i):"m"(d))
    #endif

... and it is completely optional. The default is:

    #define lua_number2int(i,n)	((i)=(int)(n))

I doubt that you can base a thesis on porting this to ARM 64. Some similiar code is also included in newer versions of Lua, btw.

Athos Ribeiro

Philipp