On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM, liam mail <liam.list@googlemail.com> wrote:
> managers, I though it may be interesting to gauge what is the norm for
> people installing modules.

Well, all polls need to be taken with some salt, but what I'm seeing
is that LR is only dominant in the sense of being the largest single
option. So it follows that we need other installation options despite
our preferences.

Now, I don't know about what other people feel, but makefiles are a
clunky way to install stuff.  What we need is a straightforward Lua
script that can be easily customized to install a project where it
should go.

'straightforward' isn't easy. It will look at package.(c)path and
ignore any relative paths.  Thereafter, platform-specific heuristics
need to kick it.  On Unix, prefer canonical installation path (Debian
will use /usr/share/lua... for stuff _it_ installs - don't touch
that!). There may be a directory on that path that does not need
superuser privileges; there should be an option to use that, otherwise
complain properly if not su.

On Windows, Lua may or may not be in a location writeable by the user.

There will commonly be both 5.1 and 5.2 module paths....

I'll knock something together for purposes of discussion...

steve d.