Just wanted to give a bit of positive feedback.

Up until this point I've been creating short scripts with vim and running them to debug stuff. I did have an interactive option which just called debug.debug() which was difficult to use. I've just switched the interactive option to call luap_enter instead, and I must say it's fantastic. Both the tab completion and the colour pretty printing are fantastic, especially as I can now just type require("module") to see exactly what it exports.

Thanks for the feedback it's nice to know the effort (however small) going into making and keeping this thing public isn't wasted.

I haven't got command line history to work yet, but I think that may need a few more #defines for readline and maybe some other luap_calls. I need to read through the example to figure out what calls to make, and I don't have any more time to spend on it for now, but I will be utilising it fully when I get the chance.

This may be caused by not defining HAVE_WORDEXP for instance by adding -DHAVE_WORDEXP to the compilation line. This define is needed to let the compiler know that it's on a POSIX system and wordexp, a library for performing shell-style expansions on strings, is available. Without it history paths like "~/.myhistory" won't work and you'll have to use "/home/username/.myhistory" instead. Apart from that only a call to luap_sethistory should be necessary.

The only issue I've had so far is that it is rather c++ unfriendly and I had to make some changes to get it to compile as c++ with g++ 4.7.2 on Debian Wheezy. See the attached patch if it's any use to you.

Thanks for that, I've adopted all of your changes except renaming the header files to end in hpp. This isn't necessary, is it? Everything seems to compile just fine with g++ and -Wall -Wextra (except for some warnings about unused parameters).

Dimitris