Am 15.08.2013 18:53 schröbte Lorenzo Donati:

I heard of lua-apr, but my knowledge of it is almost nothing. When I
last checked it (very very superficially some time ago) IIRC it seemed
to be a huge beast (I may be wrong though).

It *is* huge, since it contains, among other things, a LuaSocket alternative, a LuaLanes alternative, a LuaExpat alternative, a LuaSQL alternative, an LFS alternative, and probably a kitchen sink somewhere. On my x86_64 Linux box, the stripped shared object of the binding alone is almost 200Kb.

On the plus side it has well-tested, portable implementations of almost any function you ever wanted from your OS. To me it seems foolish to try to duplicate the OS abstraction of APR ...

Moreover since I'm no C guru, I try to stick to small, simple libraries
that are easy to build. Sometimes I had to tweak makefiles (or concoct
one myself) or modify the sources to suit my needs. With such big beasts
I dare not even open the sources with an editor! ;-)

APR is a *horror* to build on Windows. I still have nightmares sometimes ... The code itself is not that bad (but I can only speak for the Unix parts).

Philipp