On 15/08/2013 17.01, Philipp Janda wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 15.08.2013 15:57 schröbte Lorenzo Donati:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> BTW. If Lua team doesn't deem it useful enough to enhance popen in this
>> sense, IMO this should be added at least to lfs
>>
>> On a related note, although a robust workhorse, I find lfs a bit
>> lacking. I'd really like it to be a little more feature complete.
>
> Maybe you are looking at the wrong library. What about lua-apr[1][2]
> (also available as a rock[3])?

[...]

Thank you very much for the suggestions and the pointers!

I heard of lua-apr, but my knowledge of it is almost nothing. When I
last checked it (very very superficially some time ago) IIRC it seemed
to be a huge beast (I may be wrong though).

IIRC it didn't suit my common use case, where I write small "apps" which
can be run with an embedded interpreter (based on srlua or wxLua +
wxLuafreeze), or that bundle an interpreter with them. I try to avoid
most dependencies.

I usually work (with limited privileges) on different Windows machines
(and rarely on some Linux boxes with funny distributions) on whose setup
(which varies wildly) I have almost no control, thus I try to stick to
modules that can work only with standard well-known system DLLs (I even
avoid linking against msvcr*#? - c++ newest runtime, but stick to
msvcrt.dll).

Even wxWidgets sometimes is too big for my needs, but I resort to it
when I need some GUI stuff since it is fairly easy to use (the binaries
are self contained) and come with all the batteries I commonly need.

This approach has always allowed me to run my tools directly from a
pendrive or a portable HD without much fuss (when I did differently I
often got a bunch of "cannot find XYZ module" errors from the OS).

Moreover since I'm no C guru, I try to stick to small, simple libraries
that are easy to build. Sometimes I had to tweak makefiles (or concoct
one myself) or modify the sources to suit my needs. With such big beasts
I dare not even open the sources with an editor! ;-)

-- Lorenzo