On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 03:54:53PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Great idea, but ... fails to find the installed Lua on Debian, where
> Lua keeps its include files in places like /usr/include/lua5.1 (it
> also supports pkg-config, so you can do "pkg-config --cflags
> lua5.1")... :]

An aside: have you ever tried to compile pkg-config on a virgin system? Some
fool decided to remove the perfectly working internal list and tree
implementations in favor of glib. Prior to this pkg-config had no
dependencies.

glib, however, requires pkg-config to compile, thus creating an awesome
circular dependency. You have to manually hack and refactor its autotools
scripts to remove this dependency. Pre-glib versions can't be substituted
because they're incompatible.

This infuriated me so much that on principle I swore off pkg-config forever.