On 25/07/2013 15.23, Peter Drahoš wrote:

Thank you for all the pointers.

[snip]

TDM GCC is a solid suggestion, the current LuaDist
binaries[1] are built with it and so far there have been no
issues with the distribution that are worth mentioning.
However I would now recommend to switch over to the
MinGW-builds[2] especially if you are aiming for 64bit
releases with SEH exception handling[3] which is also
suitable for LuaJIT. That is why upcoming LuaDist binaries
will use MinGW-builds 4.8.1.

I forgot to mention that I used only the 32bit version, I never used TDM GCC 64bit, has it some issues?
I used TDM GCC 4.7.1 (32bit) to build LuaJIT and everything was ok.
I must admit that it was only to play a little with LuaJIT ffi, so I cannot say if the generated LuaJIT executable has issues.

It would help people which don't like/want or can't depend on MSVC tools, like OSS tools and/or are not too C-savy.

The installation and use of the MinGW tools cannot be easier,
unpack and add destination to PATH, there are also installers
available. Another problem you will face on Windows is the
lack of any decent make replacements if you do not want to
use Msys(which I will not go into), for that purpose CMake[3]
works well especially if the software aims to be portable to
other platforms. This works well with Code::Blocks IDE or
QtCreator

The make in coreutils coming with TDM GCC 32bit seems ok.

You can also follow the manual install instructions for LuaDist to get a basic environment going[7]. Alternatively you can just use the LuaDist binaries which should be enough to get you started with Lua on Windows.

pd

[1] http://www.luadist.org
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/
[3] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/host-windows/releases/4.8.1/64-bit/threads-posix/seh/