I am new to Lua.  I wrote my first program beyond "Hello World" less
than a week ago but read various documents during the 3 weeks or so
before that.  (:  But I need to be knowledgeable enough of the
language, of libraries such as LPEG, and how to use various
programming "paradigms" effectively and idiomatically within the next
month.  I plan to use Lua intensely in a computer science course on
programming languages I am teaching in the upcoming semester. So I am
interesting in materials for my own learning as well as my students.

The PiL book and some of the other documents are good. The various
websites about Lua have considerable information, but I find it
difficult to "sift the wheat from the chaff".  That is, what is
current and what is outdated, only being relevant to some past
version?  What is relatively mainstream in usage and what is in a
little used backwater?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of
various programming styles?

Conrad Cunningham
Computer and Information Science
University of Mississippi, USA