On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:44:16 -0300
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Does the Lua web site need a page "Getting Started with Lua",

I think that'd be great and wouldn't worry about Google indexing; if it's hosted on lua.org it'll make it to the top. Someone else's suggestion of an "annotated online Lua manual" with overlays to examples was a great idea too.

Expanding somewhat disingenuously, what I think Lua needs most is reforming this mailing list because it's become a major turnoff with threads getting so long and circular, plus spawning in so many directions. As a Lua veteran I skip most of the posts and probably miss the ones I'd want to read. I can't imagine what first impression Lua newcomers get. It's sad because the list's verbosity is completely at odds with Lua's own lean syntax.

Maybe split it into Lua-users and Lua-dev (or Lua-sterile-debates :). Feel free to debate my opinion to death -- you'll just be making my point :)

Sorry for the thread hijack.

cheers,

-- p