On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
One thing I've run into with Lua 5.3-work1 is that I want to make code
which is portable between different versions of Lua, and while this is
usually pretty easy by simply using runtime tests, one can't use
anything which is invalid syntax in earlier Lua versions, like the
"//" operator.

I share Miles' concern here. This is the first serious break with Lua 5.1 after more than eight years - like a Python 3 moment. I understand that people sometimes need 64-bit integer arithmetic (which is why his proposed idiv won't in general work) but it's a very specific point to choose to break with the past.

steve d.