On Jul 6, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

No. That's the Ruby way. The Lua way is that the three original
designers are the only decision-makers. They are kind enough to
contribute to this list now and then, and may even give talks at
the Lua workshop on the way forward. Reread the posts Roberto has
made on this topic: they give a very clear indication of his stance
on whether something like 'empty' should be standardized.

That's perfectly acceptable of course, but isn't this a forum (at least partly) where stuff like this can at least be discussed? There seem to be people here who are discussing several different, and interesting, approaches. And some others who are saying "This discussion must stop.". I don't agree with all the posts or ideas here, and I CERTAINLY don't expect everyone (or even anyone) to agree with mine. But muzzling discussion doesn't seem a very productive position. If the thread has become too long or boring for some (I suspect this is the case for you) the solution is simple; stop reading it.

Nor do I expect every suggestion I advance to be adopted, or even any of them. I'm simply reporting issues that I, as a real-world user of Lua in some complex mission-critical systems, have found, and explaining WHY I raised them and why I consider them worth raising. In fact I'm always VERY careful in my posts to point out that in 99% of the cases Lua comes through with flying colors, and I'm only discussing the 1% where we have found there to be issues. Again, what's your problem with that?

--Tim