On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> wrote:
> My current work-around is pretty much as you describe; it's a light userdata
> holding a C (void*)0 pointer. It has all the attributes I need, and it works
> just fine. But without someone saying "if you need to create an "holding
> place" within an array, use "xxx", everyone will come up with different ways
> to do this, and we have chaos.

on one side, i think Roberto's position is the only one sensible from
a language-theoretical point of view for a language that strives for
minimalism.

on the other side, a theoretically pure language could be too
cumbersome to use, so one have to balance with practical approaches.
(of course going too far in that direction you find Python, which is
so practical, but so 'dirty'... but that's OT)

so, I'm curious about the real, specific objections to current
practices.  One point that you mention is the diversity of options,
which reflects the lack of a single "right" solution.  But as I see
it, there are different choices because there are different
situations.  From the top of my head, i recognize these: