On 06/28/2013 06:31 AM, steve donovan wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com
<mailto:drtimhill@gmail.com>> wrote:

    No-one has answered my original question: How can I write a CLEAN C
    library that emits a SQL rowset that might include NULL values?
    Without "empty", I cannot see a clean way to do this.

But then your library would define a null constant, and you would use
that. That's how the same problem is sorted with JSON encoding.

I agree: I don't see why a NULL representation has to have a meaning outside the SQL library, or to "have a well known" semanthics to be respetcted by every bit of lua codebase. A SQL NULL is just a SQL concept.