It was thus said that the Great Geoff Smith once stated:

> This is one example where Lua not having an option for 8 or 16 bit number
> sizes will cost me badly on execution time. I hope Roberto is still
> thinking optional smaller number types is a good feature for 5.3. I am
> more enthusiastic about that one possible change than all the features in
> 5.2 put together. Anyway I digress.

  You mention having some 5,000 samples, which works out to be around 80k
(5,000 * 8 (sizeof double) * 2 (two samples)) which would certainly be too
large to handle on my first computer (8-bit 6809 with 64K RAM) all my
computers since then would be able to handle that amount just fine.

  For reference, until about mid-2003 I was using a 486 with 32M RAM for
serving up my website, and I was using a similar box for development until
2009.

  So now I'm curious---what *are* the specs of the system you are using?

  -spc