On 06/06/2013 03:12 PM, Petite Abeille wrote:

I personally find this entire premise a bit quixotic in practice.

As Shrek would say, there are 3 layers to this story:

(1) table
(2) serialization
(3) persistence

So… Persist( Serialize( { … } ) )… no much point in throwing magic at it … To quote Mr Gold: "All magic comes with a price, dearie"…

I don't want to explicitly say when I want to persist, nor where, nor serialize everything each time. I want to know that whatever I put in that table, will be there when I start my application again. Having that I don't need no filesystem.

I have to deal with files and serialization only because they are the only thing the OS under Lua understands. Me writing Lua applications, want to deal only with what Lua understands: tables. Being forced to think in file descriptors and serial data is a forced exit from the virtuality of the Lua environment.