Thanks for sharing this information, i also developed a webserver (not alone :-) in Lua, but on the time (a couple years ago) we used lighthttp + fastcgi/WSAPI, not nginx, and that was no DB at all...it was a quite simple webserver actually :-). But Lua really seems to be a good tool for the job.

You mentioned telescope for testing, it would be good to have busted in mind:

http://olivinelabs.com/busted/

I'm currently using telescope, but it seems that busted has more neat features :-)