On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:11:41PM -0400, mchalkley@mail.com wrote:
> Other than this anomaly, my program runs fine for weeks, but
> eventually, the machine's DNS stops working.
>
> Has anybody else ever seen this, or do you have any idea what could be
> causing it?

There are a few possible causes:

1. The machine's dns server list is changed.
2. The DNS server is either broken or is, itself, having connectivity issues.
3. The DNS server IP address is actually transient; DHCP, based on external
external IP, etc.

Should be easy to determine the actual cause.

When the machine machine is rebooted, bring up a console and use

    ipconfig /all

Or whatever the current equivalent is. It's been a while since I futzed with
Windows.

Note the DNS IP addresses and determine their source and reachability.
If the DNS servers are permanent (not DHCP based and don't change) and always reachable
(within your network, etc), then the next step is to wait until the problem
occurs again then recheck the network configuration. If the DNS server list
has changed, you have a new path for investigation because something or
someone has changed it. If not, you can focus on the servers; are they still
on the network (ping), what happens when you use nslookup.exe to make a
request to the servers, etc.

As you can tell, this isn't really related to Lua so you'd probably be better
served by asking the question or more specific versions in a Windows (admin?)
forum.

-Gyepi