On 06/05/2013 13:05, Matthew Wild wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On 6 May 2013 01:06, Tim Channon <tc@gpsl.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, to what platform(s) is expat not portable?
>
>> Silence is what I expected, ie. no one knows of an alternative.
>
> Funny definition of silence you have :)
>
>> I needed to ask. Go to plan B.
>
> There may be other plans available that someone here knows of, but you
> don't seem willing to reveal much information about your problem,
> which makes it hard to help.
>
> Here follows my best shot though...
>
>> If I wanted to discuss expat this is not the place.
>> expat in effect has dependencies on toolchains not available here, just
>> how it is.
>
> I would hesitate to say that expat has any such dependencies. It seems
> to use autotools or something by default. However I managed to compile
> it just fine here with:
>
>   gcc -shared -D HAVE_MEMMOVE -I lib lib/*.c -o expat.so
>
> Of course depending on your system and desired configuration you may
> need to play around a little. If you are looking for portability, I
> don't think I could recommend expat more for its combination of
> simplicity, performance, compliance and portability (though there are
> other parsers that excel more in fewer of these areas).
>
> Ok, and here's another something for you... a pure-Lua implementation
> of LuaExpat. It's MIT/X11 licensed (same as Prosody). It is *not*
> well-tested (we don't use it for anything at the moment), probably
> missing small features, and performance won't be as good as native
> expat. However if you are just in need of something quick and dirty,
> here you go:
>
>     http://hg.prosody.im/trunk/raw-file/tip/fallbacks/lxp.lua
>
> If you use it and fix any issues, patches are welcome (email to
> developers@prosody.im is probably best).
>
> Hope this helps!
> Matthew

Yes it does thank you.

Mentioning something is wrong with X for your purposes tends to get lots
of fixers wanting to fix. I've considered and expat build has never
heard of the environment. I'm sure it is fine where intended.

Pure Lua, ah now we are talking. Speed is unlikely to matter.
Worthwhile feedback, of course.

That olden cartoon comes to mind about what the user wanted versus all
the solutions dreamt up by various experts. An old tyre on a rope
hanging from the tree branch...

Whole thing is about trying to help myself.