Le 02/05/2013 01:27, Jay Carlson a écrit :
> [ok, we're well off into the senior lounge now]
Yep, and mostly off topic as well.

> Although it does depend on which version of dice. gcc 1.39 was
> awesome, except 2M of FastRAM was the limit of my SCSI+RAM sidecar.
I worked hard with Dice (and even made some articles for a French Amiga
newspaper) and I liked the way it was integrated to the system like the
fact only 1 options in the command line produce residents executables.
But, it was dramatically missing optimization ... well it has almost no
optimization at all compared to SAS for example.
But it was my favorite compiler for some time.

Finally I switched to GCC ... it was (and still) damn slow and resources
consuming ! But it opened to me the world of Unix : I was able to
compile exactly the same code on my Migas, VAX and i386 NetBSD workstation.
I was surprised that GCC is now failing to compile some C++ on 256 MB
boxes whereas I was able to do (slowly) C++ on my 10Mb Amiga1000.

>  Towards the end of my stay on the Amiga I started to understand why
> the OS was doomed as a platform: a flat memory space without
> relocatable chunks meant external fragmentation inexorably increased
> over time. Even with FreeMem remaining constant, the maximum AllocMem
> chunk size would go to zero.
OS 2.X or 3.X, I don't remind, introduce memory pools that reduced
drastically that.

> The miracle is that an MC68000 system with a shared flat address model
> and absolutely no memory protection *could* stay up for months.
Yeahhh, some Amiga have months, or even years uptime !!!! Smashing ! (a
rumor said a TV station ran an Amiga for 16 YEARS w/o a reboot :) ).

AmigaOS is probably the most exiting and versatile OS I had to work on :
as example, I'm able to access on my 1986 Amiga1000 some devices that
even doesn't exist at this time.
And the best part is the documentation : Good, accurate, and going
deeply in technical details ... far far far ahead vs bu....t provide by
m$ I had to work afterward !

(Yes, I still love those antiquity, and I religiously keep my Amiga 1000
and 4000).
>  I wonder what Lua is like on AmigaOS 2.0.

Aminet contains Lua 5.0.2 released in 2005 with some interesting
Intuition integration (examples here
http://mazze-online.de/amiga/confgui.html, in German).

Any technical issue to compile 5.1 or 5.2 on AmigaOS ?

I saw also an active port of GTK for AmigaOS. I duno if "introspection"
is included, but if so, it could be fun to test my current developments
using LGI on my 25+ y/o beast :)