But the point is that the C "standard" leaves some things so open that it's very difficult to write code without making some guesses. Width of an integer? Behavior of C runtime functions? All have very subtle hidden assumptions. For example, when you call "malloc()" you assume that it won't take 5 seconds to allocate memory, but the standard is silent on such issues as API overhead. Writing in standard C is a REQUIREMENT for portability, but not a GUARANTEE.

--Tim