On 04/26/2013 05:46 PM, Coda Highland wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 13:13:33 +0200
Thomas Jericke <tjericke@indel.ch> wrote:

On 04/25/2013 10:54 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
I would too. If I really want something to be global, I'll

global myvar = 0

It's not like I'm going to have 40 globals anyway, so this won't be
much writing.

To me there are still some problems regarding scoping with this,
consider:

if someboolean then
      global myvar = 0
end

print(myvar) -- Is this valid?
Why in the world would anyone do this? I can't think of any reason for a
global variable's existence to be conditional.

SteveT

The "why" doesn't really matter, I think. The question is how
well-defined the behavior is (even if it's not necessarily useful) so
that a program has deterministic, understandable behavior in the face
of someone even accidentally doing something like this.

/s/ Adam

That's it exactly. The idea to make declaration of globals mandatory, is not to punish programmers but to help them finding errors. If the declaration of globals is ambigues, it wont really help the programmers at all.

--
Thomas