On 04/26/2013 01:59 PM, steve donovan wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Thomas Jericke <tjericke@indel.ch> wrote:
It would also help editors a lot if they don't need to do reference resolving to highlight globals.

We should not to be too kind to editors, they can be taught to be clever ;)
Clever in this case means a parser AND reverence resolver with scoping. It is possible, but most highlighters I know don't support that easily.

Ah, but would your proposal also mean .tostring and .table.concat?  Dots everywhere? That feels clumsy, somehow.
unless you write

"local tostring, table = .tostring, .table

at the top of your file ;-)

You don't lose any freedom, you just need a little more typing.
--
Thomas