On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:46:39PM -0400, TNHarris wrote:
> On Friday, April 12, 2013 04:59:05 PM marbux wrote:
> > There is some interesting international law on this topic although it
> > should be noted that there have been no decisions so far by the World
> > Trade Organization's Appellate Body that have applied this law to
> > software standards. However, the applicability of the law to software
> > standards is generally agreed. Moreover, it should be understood that
> > the treaty is widely ignored; it's still a fairly young treaty as
> > these things go.
> >

> And yet, if it weren't for a policy that favored Brazilian-made software there
> wouldn't be Lua.

There's a difference between trade barriers in the private market and
government procurement policies.

The aforementioned trade agreement doesn't apply to the latter, anyhow:

	1.4 Purchasing specifications prepared by governmental bodies for
	production or consumption requirements of governmental bodies are
	not subject to the provisions of this Agreement

Query: how the heck did this come up? I'm confused and intrigued all at the
same time.