1)  if there is such a major compatibility break, why are they both flagged as 5.x ? (this looks like the same sort of discussion the Python community is having over 2.x vs. 3.x, which they acknowledge as a major break).

2)  Is there any sign that Lua is settling down to a really stable specification, when this sort of thing will no longer be a serious issue? (c.f. the current stable state of Python 2.x, seen as just itself without worrying about the impending 3.x).

- i.e. any releases are either bug fixes; or, genuinely new features being tried out for the next major release and which do not interfere with existing mature code.