On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Gary V. Vaughan <gary@vaughan.pe> wrote:
This seems like the best compromise between hygiene, convenience and backwards compatibility to me.

Excellent move!  I also went through a necessary stage of being strict with Penlight, since it was spilling over and whacking standard namespaces. There's still the lazy-load option for convenience and experimentation.  There is _one_ case (I believe) where it still whacks _G otherwise: setfenv gets redefined in Lua 5.2 to mean something functional - I still feel a little bad about this.