I am happy to announce the release of Stdlib 34,
General Lua Libraries.

 - stdlib is moving towards supporting separate requirement of individual
   modules, without scribbling on the global environment; the work is not
   yet complete, but we're collecting tests along the way to ensure that
   once it is all working, it will carry on working;
 - there are some requirement loops between modules, so not everything can
   be required independently just now;
 - `require "std"` will continue to inject std symbols into the system
   tables for backwards compatibility;
 - stdlib no longer ships a copy of Specl, which you will need to install
   separately if you want to run the bundled tests;
 - getopt supports parsing of undefined options; useful for programs that
   wrap other programs;
 - getopt.Option constructor is no longer used, pass a plain Lua table of
   options, and getopt will do the rest;

Install it as luarock stdlib-34 (see http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks
)

Most simply:

  luarocks install stdlib

(You may need to wait a while after this announcement lands before the
rocks are available.)

Stdlib's home page is at http://github.com/rrthomas/lua-stdlib/